License Issues on macOS 10.14 (Mojave)

Find answers to common questions for CodonCode Aligner and the Aligner License Server

License Issues on macOS 10.14 (Mojave)

Postby Peter Richterich » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:19 pm

Some users have experienced problems after upgrading to macOS 10.14 (Mojave), including error messages when trying to get license keys from the Aligner License Server, and long wait times when starting CodonCode Aligner or the Aligner License Server. This post describes how to fix this problem.

1. Open a terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal).
  2. Type:
    Code: Select all
    scutil --get LocalHostName
    and press return.
    You should see a response with your computer name, for example "My-Macbook-Pro".
  3. Use the computer name from this response to set the "HostName" by typing this command:
    sudo scutil --set HostName My-Macbook-Pro

Remember to replace "My-Macbook-Pro" with the response from the first command! You will be asked for an administrator password.
  4. Check that the change worked by typing:
    scutil --get HostName

The response should be the name you just defined.
  5. Start the Aligner License Server and/or CodonCode Aligner.
If CodonCode Aligner and the Aligner License Server run on two different macOS 10.14 computers, you'll need to follow the instructions above on each of these computers. Note that the computer names must be different!

This is a one-time procedure (although you might have to repeat it after future system upgrades). You may notice improved performance in other applications, too, since this problem affects many applications that use Java.
Peter Richterich
Site Admin

Return to Support & Questions